Sunday, August 5, 2012

Eat LOTS (you might as well plan to, because you will)

SO. It's been a while since I've posted something, which means that A LOT has happened since my last post. Not most important, but definitely a now significant part of my time here in India, is all the food that I have been eating. Like honestly, if I wasn't running, I would have gained at least 20 lbs by now. I would really like to blame the very generous Associate Director of Asha for my overeating, but in all honesty, it is completely my fault, especially since I have compiled a list titled "Foods to Eat" (I even made food plural to reflect how much I planned to eat). The list started with 11 items, among which were jalebi, kulfi, papdi chaat and rasgulla. Over the past few weeks, the list has expanded to 24 items, the majority of which I have managed to eat (so good, but so bad).

Even though I've been to a couple cool eating places, I'll talk about one of my most memorable eating nights out, which was two weekends ago with the Doc and Associate Director. We started out the night at Karim's, which I had already been to when I went to Old Delhi. Unfortunately, as I discovered after being teased for it in the Asha office, I did not make a good choice by ordering the egg curry the first time I went (okay, I thought it was sooo delicious, but apparently Karim's is best known for it's mutton and chicken and meat dishes...oops hehe). So this time around, with lots of help from Associate Director Freddy Martin, who was a Karim's pro, I got the real, full Karim's experience. And let me just say, I definitely missed out the first time!

Chowing down on some kebabs with some guidance from Freddy Martin

Kebabs, curries, extremely fluffy bread, giant rotis, washed down by two large glasses of lime soda sweet (a MUST TRY). So basically, I ate like it was Thanksgiving, which means that I definitely had no room for dessert (or so I thought). After we finished up at Karim's, good ole Mr. Martin decided that I definitely had NOT had enough to eat yet. So he drove us up to Connaught Place, near India Gate, to get some dessert at Bengali Sweet House. One word: BEAUUUTIFUL. I was legit in heaven. Not only was the place very lovely (partially open-air), but there was so much to choose from!


Can you tell? There's no glass or anything! 

Soooo, despite my great fullness, I could not resist having something. Even though Bengali Sweet is really famous, mainly for its kulfi falooda, take a guess at what I got...

Hot Gulab Jamun!

Now that's how you end a night in happiness :)

1 comment: