Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Visit Jaipur (MUST MUUUUST)

I think I'll just start off by saying that Jaipur is AMAZING. I mean, I will definitely reiterate that fact throughout the rest of this post, but in case I forget, I figured I'd just mention it early on. This trip actually took place a few weeks ago, and amidst all the eating, teaching, and sari-wearing, I completely forgot to go through the wonders of the Pink City in great detail. So here goes...

Oh what a start. Note to self: sketchy bus companies will most probably have sketchy buses (true statement). I don't know why I didn't pick up on it earlier; guess I was just so excited about the idea of spending time in such a beautiful place, but when I arrived at the office of the tourist bus company outside New Delhi Railway station, I knew instantly that I had not made the best choice of buses for the journey. After I got a rickshaw driver to take me to where the bus would actually depart from, I was taken to the bus, where I was met with quite a surprise. I already knew that the bus would not have AC, which I did not mind, but I had no idea that I would be one of the only females on the bus. Now, I have gotten used to the staring and understand exactly why it happens, but this bus ride took it to a whole new level: 8 hours of being stared at (siiiigh).

Buuut, when the journey was finally over (YEEEES), I met up with my friend Namrata and her mom, who took me to their lovely home (but it was actually soooo nice). Although I was only in Jaipur for two days, I arrived pretty late in the afternoon on the first day, so I had not expected to actually go anywhere that first day. That's why I was so surprised when Namrata and one of her friends from school took me to Chokhi Dhani, an Indian "amusement park". I'm putting amusement park in quotes because this amusement park was quite different from typical amusement parks like Six Flags or Disney World (but still so goood!). Chokhi Dhani is essentially a mini Rajasthani village, fully equipped with traditional cuisine, jewelry, and elephant and camel rides (yeeees!). I was insanely excited. Like a little kid in a candy store (cliche but extremely accurate).



Chokhi Dhani!!
It was an amazing night, topped off by MAGNIFICENT eats. How magnificent you ask? Well, I had quite a bit of trouble walking afterwards (food baby!)

Magnificent Eats
The next day was very historic. I actually feel like I learned a lot, as though I sat in on a class about the history of Jaipur. After 9 hours of much-needed sleep, Namrata woke me up to get ready for the day (alarms?? completely ignored, as is the fashion of summer life). At the end of the day, I can definitely say that this was one of my most packed tourist days since being in India. Amber Fort, Jaigarh Fort, the Pink Palace, all explored with the help of a tour guide (I would definitely recommend getting a tour guide for Amber Fort and Pink Palace to really appreciate everything that's going on inside).


Top: Amber Fort, Bottom: Pink Palace (both pretty amazing)
After Namrata and I returned from our touristy afternoon, she headed off to take a nap while her parents gave me a tour of the neighborhood and took me to meet a relative who lived nearby. And let me just say, I definitely would not mind growing up in a place like Jaipur.

The day ended with a delicious dinner, followed by Disney's Mulan (you can never let your inner child die I always say). Around 10pm, Namrata and her brother took me to the bus station, where I boarded a MUCH better bus than I had taken to Jaipur. As usual with me on moving vehicles, I was out in a few minutes, reeling from all the wonderful memories of my time in Jaipur.



No comments:

Post a Comment