Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Play Dress Up! (Indian style of course)

Over the past two days, I've been fortunate enough to do something that I've been wanting to do since before I came to India; I got to try on a sari!! Even though I had planned on buying one while I was here in India, I haven't gotten around to it, so I had just accepted that I wouldn't get to wear one, at least not in India.

So you can imagine how excited I was when Vidya, one of the Asha staff members at Mayapuri to whom I've become really close, told me that she would bring in some of her saris for me to try on.

After teaching my morning English classes today and yesterday, Vidya called me into one of the rooms in the center and wrapped the saris for me. I had heard that the process of putting on a sari was complicated, but I could not believe that there could be so many different ways to wrap one piece of fabric around someone's body! Vidya wrapped the sari for me in several different ways, put a bindi on my forehead, gave me some red lipstick, and we had lots of fun doing a little Indian photo shoot throughout the center.



The saris were sooo beautiful. It caused me great pain to have to take them off, so I think there is only one solution now: time to do a bit of shopping :)


2 comments: